Tuesday, March 22, 2011

walking for water


Last Wednesday

Today Joe walked home for lunch with a five-gallon container of water. That's 45 lbs. In his work clothes, in the heat. But that is nothing compared to what many people have to do everyday.


Do we ever think about how fortunate we are to have clean water whenever we want it? {Just a couple facts: 848 million people in the world do not have access to clean water, and 316 million people die each year from water-related disease. We use as much water in a 5-minute shower than many do in a whole day.} In Kenya, women and children walk, on average, 7-10 miles a day to gather water. And it's not even clean water like we're used to. They must carry five gallons of water back from the well, in the heat, to their homes. Every day.

I can't even imagine. Do you know how heavy that is? Do you know how far that is?

The Methodist Church is working to fight this problem by drilling water wells for the people of Kenya. Our people are bringing them water and the good news of Jesus Christ. {In these areas, it is those that get there first who convert these people into believers.} Our district in the South Georgia Conference has set up a campaign to raise money to drill water wells. A well costs $20,000. As part of a Lenten project, Joe is raising money and awareness for this campaign. He has felt a calling to walk in their shoes, to experience what this part of their daily lives must be like.


Joe texted me when he was leaving the church and Hannah and I met him while out walking at the entrance to our neighborhood. I watched as he rounded the corner from the highway looking depleted of energy. I have seen Joe compete in many athletic events. I have seen him sweat and struggle, and cross the finish line looking like he's in another world. But I can honestly say I've never seen him like this. He was completely exhausted. He was sweating through his clothes, blisters forming on his feet from his work shoes. His forearms were burning, as he switched the weight of the 45lb container from one arm to the other. Pushing the stroller, I followed him home not really sure what to say. I was in shock. 

I was proud. 


Joe will be doing this every week during Lent. He will walk to church and return home carrying a five-gallon container of water one way and an empty bucket the other way (like the people in Africa). I wanted to help him with his Lenten goal and I figured that I could use this blog to do just that. If you would like to make a donation (and truthfully, no amount is too small) you can send a check to our church: Epworth UMC/P.O. Box 1134/Jesup, GA 31598 with "Living Water Project" in the memo line. You can also share the link to this blog post or any other information regarding drilling water wells on your Facebook page or through email.

Joe and I have been made more aware of how blessed we are to have unlimited access to clean water whenever we want it. We ask that you join us in praying for those that aren't as fortunate and help us get the word out to help those in need.

2 comments:

  1. This is such an inspiring post Lindsey. A group of my girlfriends and I are traveling to Ghana in June to celebrate our 30th birthdays. We are visiting a village on our trip and sponsoring a well for clean drinking water. We are SO excited about this part of our trip because it's truly something we take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so computer illiterate..how do i post this to FB? I will gladly let everyone i know about it!

    ReplyDelete