Saturday, March 26, 2011

hannah's first st. patrick's day in savannah

We went to Savannah for the big day last week. {If you don't know, St. Patrick's Day is the biggest day of the year there.} It has the second or third largest celebration in the country. The population doubles, school is out, most people have or take the day off, traffic is crazy, and the city is chaotic. The fountains in the squares are dyed green. There's green grits, green beer, and just about green everything else. The parade lasts 3-4 hours and is full of floats, bands, and Irish families, as well as special guest the Budweiser Clydesdale horses (my favorite). The celebration goes on for days. Oh, and, everybody's Irish. At least for a little while. I can remember some very fun St. Patrick's Days in my past, but it is a totally different (and awesome) experience as a family. Here are some pictures from Hannah's first time (and it was a full one) during the wearin' of the green:

 finishing my breakfast before the parade starts

  little unsure of everything at first...

 what mom? (with sunscreen all over my face)

 kiss spensey, he's irish.

 see me in the parade? on the board of education float! (poppy is the school board pres.)

there i am again! that's gran gran and aunt barbara to the left of poppy and me.

 with uncle ben

 i got a boo boo on my head at some point, but like my shamrock dress?

 parade watching outside of the cathedral

 being green and snugglin' with momma

all four of us - that belly definitely counts as one, dontcha think?

1 comment:

  1. All four of you indeed! What a big girl on that big float - so brave!!! So happy we got to spend time with H on her first St. Patty's day! And Joseph of course...he bruised my hand with his kicks ;) Much love from SAV!

    ReplyDelete