Wednesday, January 26, 2011

under construction

I need a change. After a while I get tired of the same look and decide I want something different. It has to be just so or else I'll get bored. This is why I have such a hard time committing to patterns and bold colors. This is why I wanted a white sofa. But right now I'm just talking about this blog. So please be patient with me as I figure out what I want.

With the new year comes goals and resolutions, and for me it means getting organized too. This time of year I'm always itching to de-clutter. Maybe it's not just this time of year. It's more accurate to say that I have my moments. {Joe would add a lot here.} There is no way I could possibly be nesting already, but my husband has said a thing or two lately...

Have you ever seen that show Hoarders? Well, I haven't. I think I would have a fit if I saw what people keep. What about those little business signs on the side of the road that say "de-cluttering service" call this number? I want to know what those services actually do. I mean, I can throw stuff out. I can throw your stuff out too. Just ask my husband who takes things to work to make sure they don't end up in the trash. Just last night I was talking to him on the phone and mentioned something about getting rid of a few things in his closet. He responded, "Leave my stuff alone while I'm not there to defend it!!" I love to organize. I love to de-clutter.

Here are a couple lists I found on de-cluttering: Peter Walsh's 10 Tips to De-Clutter Your Home and Declutter in 4 Steps.

I thought I'd post some before and after clutter pictures here, but when I went to Google I almost got sick looking at some of the before rooms and wanted to spare you that. So, I'll just leave you with these:

decorpad.com

kitchenisms via mindbodygreen.com

 Suzanne Kasler via Ballard Designs

Lonny Mag - Feb/Mar 2010

The Holiday movie set

Suzanne Kasler via Ballard Designs

The Holiday movie set


While none of these pictures are our house, they make me smile nonetheless.

As I have spent a great deal of time converting our VHS tapes to DVD (trying to get rid of them), Monkey has found her way into the cabinet frequently. If you know of somewhere I might be able to donate all these Disney movies to, let me know. I've been moving them around forever and will now, since they can't be converted, be replacing them with the DVD version over time. And, excuse the mess on top of the console. I was sorting and packing up Christmas decorations. Which, I might add, now have a very organized system. (And that cabinet looks so much better!) Here's to de-cluttering!

1 comment: