Friday, January 28, 2011

the nursery: part 1

Decisions, decisions.

I have started (finally, you might think) designing the nursery. Well, in my head anyway...and on scraps of paper and to-do lists. I really am just not that worried about it getting done. I know it will. Joseph's due date is three months from today. After that, he'll be in our room in his awesome bassinet (thanks, Mom) for at least two months. Hannah was in the cradle for almost three months, weeks after she started sleeping through the night. He'll have a room before it's time for him to sleep in it, is all I'm saying. And before you go all mom on me, I realize that once he gets here I will have even less free time. Free time, what is that anyway?

Like I said in the last post about having a hard time committing to a particular pattern or color in my own house (a typical problem for an interior designer), I have a hard time putting a room together too.

I've been looking at crib bedding. It sounds like I have plenty of time, but custom bedding can take a while. I found a couple sets that I liked online, but then went to a local baby store in Savannah and started pulling swatches and combining fabrics. I could go either route... At this point I don't know what I want to do with bedding...so, to furniture!

We have decided that instead of pushing Hannah out of the crib, we're going to leave her in there as long as we can. You may remember Joe and I wanted to go with a traditional crib - not a convertible - and loved the Jenny Lind style. It's what I had as a baby and what, I believe, Joe had too. It is a decision we have been very happy with. The crib's front side can be replaced with a toddler rail and then eventually have no rail (i.e. a daybed). I'll also remove the bumpers once the little monkey is too long or, since she's already standing on them, uses them to climb over the rail. Therefore, furniture purchase #1: crib. I'm thinking white. Again. Style: haven't decided.

Post from nursery numero uno: Hannah's room

I think we have decided to not buy another changing table. Hannah's getting bigger and I am not sure how much longer we'll even use her's. So, that will move to the nursery. Moms that have a strong opinion about this, let me know.

A chair. Possibly, the most thought-about decision I've made. Though that would imply that I have actually made the decision. I think I have. At first I hated the idea of taking Hannah's chair away. She still loves to be rocked and we read to her every night there. It is a great chair and was not cheap (thank you Mom and Dad Buck). Even more, it was the best nursing chair. Still, I feel kinda like I'm stealing her chair away. I know, sad. A purchase that big is not in our budget. However, I have ideas up my sleeve for Hannah's room that will replace the chair and changing table. For now, I'm planning on having the glider recovered and moved to the room next door.

Furniture purchase #2: dresser/chest. I haven't even looked yet so I'll come back to that next time. We found Hannah's little pale pink vintage dresser (1930) at an antique store. I'd like to find something unique like that. And for now, that's all the furniture I'm thinking about.

I haven't narrowed down color choices yet, but I like orange. It goes with blue or green quite nicely. As I was browsing fabrics online, I took a liking to these. Who knows maybe one of these will resurface in the nursery...or elsewhere in the house.


I'm pretty sure about one thing: there will be seersucker in this little boy's room. It's classic and I am a fan. Like 6 or 7 years ago I actually bought a seersucker bathing suit from J.Crew because of the fabric. I cannot part with it. I love.


Hopefully the next time I post a nursery update, there will be more headway made. Stay tuned...

4 comments:

  1. ha.ha.ha. we'll have to see mama. i could go painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, let me know if you want a dresser painted a specific color and I can do it for you. I actually have an old one in my office right now that I want to paint and was going to sell it in an auction. It is kind of 1970s style, but needs some love. Just call me if you want to discuss it. Love the fabrics and love the getting in the car to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh to have talent... Your kids are lucky to have cute rooms. MK is just happy her sheets match her bedding. sort of.

    ReplyDelete