Saturday, November 26, 2011

giving thanks

I'm sure I've mentioned how much I love this time of year before, but I feel the need to say it again. I love the weather, the crispness in the air as it starts to turn colder, the leaves all different colors. Our neighborhood is beautiful right now. I took the kids for a walk yesterday to soak it all in. We are starting to decorate for Christmas, but before I put away my fall decorations...




I recently acquired these acorns. And now I have them hanging from our dining room chandelier.


Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.


We did. After all the traveling we've done lately, we decided to stay at home.

'Twas the night before, and I stayed up late doing lots of ironing. Lots. Why do almost all of Hannah's (and a good bit of Joseph's) clothes need to be ironed, even if taken promptly out of the dryer?

 

We celebrated and gave thanks, just the four of us. Hannah practiced her cheering.


While Joe was finishing up the meal, I took the kids outside for some pictures.














Hannah is not into staying still these days. That's ok. My mom sent the kids the turkey outfits, and we've worn them all week.

While I helped with some prep work, Joe was responsible for the meal. It included these:


I probably haven't eaten Brussels sprouts in two decades and Joe has never had them. It was my idea. Joe poured olive oil over them, added some salt & pepper, and roasted them, sprinkling with paprika half-way through the process. They tasted great. In fact, Hannah ate them first.



There is turkey on that plate, too. We had a friend grill our turkey. He's famous around here for his barbeque skills. That was the best turkey I've ever had. Hands down. And the sweet potato souffle was so good...and everything else on the plate. It was Joe's first Thanksgiving in the kitchen but you wouldn't have known it. We opened a bottle of wine from our trip to Napa last year.



Have you ever seen a turkey throw a fit?






We tried for a family photo while visiting our friends Thanksgiving night.


It was unsuccessful.

But we've had a nice few days, relatively low-key at home. I am counting my blessings. In all the busyness of life, sometimes it's just nice to slow down for a bit and take it all in. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

2 comments:

  1. Love the ones of them together, especially them laughing at each other - CUTE! And no, I've never seen a turkey throw a fit. But now I have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post!!! LOVE the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete