Friday, December 31, 2010

three-oh



Just before Christmas, my mom took all of us (Joe, Hannah, Ben and his girlfriend Katie, Will, and me) to NYC for what she called "Lindsey Palooza" to celebrate my 30th. It was a great time. We played in the city, enjoying the Christmas lights and store windows and had a fun few days. While it was really cold, the weather was beautiful...yep, that horrendous snow storm happened just after we left. Thank God. Hannah did great, the only complaint being she woke up way too early two of the days (5 and 6am). We bundled her up in multiple layers and she even kept her hat and mittens on - something we could not get her to do back home.


She's always eager to put a jacket or coat on. She stands with her arms out. Cute. The majority of the time, Joe carried her around in the Bjorn. She loved getting to see everything, and Joe mostly enjoyed the little dynamo that she is. In fact, Joe was more hot than he was cold. And my one question is this, how come the stores in NYC are so hot? You would think they could save a little money there. Instead, you walk into a store and have to immediately strip down or you'll die of heat. I'm exaggerating, but it really is ridiculous. 

As Brooks-Buck trips usually are, this one was packed with activities (and shenanigans as the bros like to say). Monday night, the 20th, we had dinner at China Grill - great menu and fancy food. Awesome atmosphere. Afterwards we headed to 5th Avenue to look at the Christmas lights, storefronts, and Rockefeller Plaza. Hannah LOVED the tree!




Tuesday we headed down to Ground Zero to see the progress on the World Trade Center. There was a WTC preview museum that paid respect to the events of September 11 and showed the plans for the new layout. Amazing. After that, we went over to Little Italy to dine at one of our favorite places, Angelo's. If you are ever in NYC and want authentic Italian, this is where you should go. We cheers-ed to my birthday. That's me with the sippy cup. On our way back we stopped at Ferrara's. Let's just say that is heaven for a pregnant gal...and her dessert-obsessed husband.



We went to the 5 o'clock Radio City Christmas Spectacular show, better known as the Rockettes. I'd seen them before, but Joe nor Hannah had not. I wish I could've captured the little monkey's face during the opening number. Eyes and mouth wide open. Such delight. She did really well, and by the end fell asleep. We walked over to Times Square and then called it a night. No crazy antics here.





Wednesday, my birthday, we did the whole Today Show thing. We passed out a bunch of Spenser books to donate to the toy drive and held little Spenser heads. I'm told we were on tv, but I still haven't gone to watch the DVR to know for sure. After that we took Hannah to meet Santa at Macy's 34th Street store. You know, as in the movie? Again, she didn't like him too much. I think the weird white beard thing freaks them out at this age. If you ask her, she couldn't have gotten off his lap faster.




I really wanted to go to St. Thomas for their service of Lessons and Carols, so we squeezed that in too. The church was magnificent and I love to sing Christmas carols, so that was a special part of my day.



Next up, The Plaza for tea. Definitely a highlight. The hotel is gorgeous and tea was fun. Hannah liked to play with the little silver tongs in the sugar bowl. After tea, we walked through FAO Schwartz. I could not believe this Barbie foosball table.




Joe and I took a carriage ride through Central Park, something I've always wanted to do and never have. I love the sound of the horses clip-clopping down the road. On our way back to the hotel, we strolled down Fifth Avenue. These were the best window displays: Bergdorf Goodman.





I loved the way they decorated the ceiling at Saks.


We ducked into St. Patrick's Cathedral. Another place I like to take a quick peek whenever I'm in NYC.



In New York there is no shortage of great design, old or new.

Mom babysat in the hotel while Joe and I went out (alone!) for my birthday dinner. We went to Bar Americain, Bobby Flay's restaurant. Yum.


Thursday we packed up and headed home, lots of fun memories along with a few purchases. I love the Radio City ornament Mom got us. And of course, we had to buy something for the littlest Buck.


Thanks Mom for a super special celebration of my 30th. I am not sad to say goodbye to my twenties. The second half of my twenties - finding and marrying Joe, graduating with my masters, having Hannah, and expecting a baby boy - were the best. I'm looking forward to seeing what the Lord has in store for me in this next decade...

4 comments:

  1. So cool! You got to see my girlfriend Ashley who was a NYC Rockette this year! Last year she was a travelign Rockette, but this year she made the NYC squad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. Your trip sounds amazing- you sure seemed to fit a lot in to your time in NY! :) Great way to celebrate the big 3-0!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you!!! You are so awesome for taking pics too! I logged on to reply to your pictures of Hannah during the big game (that I saw on facebook)...but it didn't pop up. WAR EAGLE! Mimi (mom's mom) is on pins and needles...Hope you are having fun watching---and we MUST get together soon!

    ReplyDelete