Thursday, December 2, 2010

a day in the life

It's December, and we are loving it. The Christmas decorations are up, about half of the shopping is done, and Christmas music plays on the Bose. I don't know if I have ever been this organized and ready for the holidays. Ok maybe that's an exaggeration, but I love it.

don't you love the new addition?
My mom gave me this countdown chalk board 10 years ago.
Every year mom adds to our Fontanini Nativity.
Love silver and gold.

For those people who might find it interesting enough to read (one or two people), I thought I'd take you through a typical day for us. And this might answer some questions from those that wonder, what does a stay-at-home mom do all day? So, this is what yesterday (Wednesday) looked like:

This morning I woke up the way I usually do - hearing Hannah on the monitor next to my bed talking to herself. I pick it up and click the video button and there she is bouncing in the crib, walking around the sides, and occasionally bending over in her perfect downward facing dog pose. She can typically entertain herself - perhaps even falling back asleep - like this for about an hour. So when she starts at 7 or earlier I can usually doze on and off until about 8 before I actually get up. I hope this doesn't make you want to hurt me. I go into her room and see the happiest baby on the block (ok, the only baby on the block). She is so excited to see me and that's what starts my day. This morning I find that she is, again, soaked in pee. I don't know how she manages or how the diaper doesn't manage for that matter, but how in the heck does she pee that much during the night? And we just changed her crib sheet last night and you know how not easy that is.

We head for the highchair and I turn on the warmer for her milk. I also turn on the news and rewind so that I can fast-forward through commercials. Daddy has her breakfast set out before he goes running. All I have to do is eat up the milk and pour the oatmeal. Well, technically, I also have to add the olive oil. You are wondering what in the world, but we are doing some new things per her doctor that will hopefully help her skin issues. The olive oil provides her with omega-3's. I feed her the oatmeal - sometimes with her help, depending on her mood - and then she gets her "bowel" (bottle), or sippy cup as we call it. We mix in probiotics - also for her skin.

Tangent: We are now seeing a new pediatrician and love him. Love him, love him, love him. We have to drive an hour to see him but it is completely worth it. He is incredibly smart, very helpful, and listens. Listens! By using non-traditional methods (as oppose to just treating the symptoms, slathering her with steroid creams and ointments twice a day, everyday), he is trying to shut down the "bad" T-cells and boost the "good" T-cells because Hannah has a T-H2 bias, like her Momma, which leads to the great things like allergies, asthma, and eczema.

I make myself some tea or coffee (unless husband already has) and eventually get to breakfast. Dare I admit that this is where Joe comes in again? He makes the meals, what can I say? No need to pretend. So after breakfast, we play for a little while. Joe goes into work later in the mornings so that he can take advantage of this - Hannah's best time of day. This morning we Skyped Uncle Ben and Katie. Some mornings we wrestle. I put Hannah in the shower with Joe, which is definitely the easiest thing to do as the more pregnant I get, the harder bath time becomes. Plus, Hannah loves this time with her Daddy. Joe is off to work and Hannah goes down for a nap around 10. Today it was more like 11. These deviations from the schedule happen. I get over it.

Wait - I forgot to mention Hannah's fun this morning. During our Skype call, I heard her in the kitchen, walked in to find she grabbed my coffee cup off the table (spilling it along the way on the table, chair cushion and sisal rug) and was drinking it - really drinking it. It wasn't hot and it was decaf, so we weren't as worried, but this kid only drinks soy milk and water. She is allergic to milk - which was in my coffee. We'll see...

Now it's me time. This morning I started* laundry, cleaned up the kitchen and squeezed in an hour of yoga. Yoga is what keeps me sane, and trust me, as my husband will tell you, I need my workout or I am a stressed out, depressed wreck just not myself. I do a little blog reading. I do a little Christmas present planning, and am very happy to see that our Christmas cards came in the mail! I am totally on the ball this year with those things. Now I just need to get them out...

Do not be fooled. My mornings aren't always like this. Sometimes my productivity is non-existent. Sometimes I don't actually wash my face or get out of my pajamas until well after lunch. And shower? You can forget that some days. And notice I said started laundry. I have a load in the wash, dryer, and in the basket waiting to be folded. Hannah sleeps a little over an hour and a half. A couple days ago I looked at the monitor and saw this:


I remember half way through my yoga that it's Wednesday (I know.) and Ms. Margaret (sweet lady from the church nursery) comes to take care of Hannah for a few hours. This was Joe's idea to give me some time to myself and help me stay sane. It is wonderful, but today I do not need her. I will be home, doing an array of things but can handle them all with a toddler at my side.

Twenty minutes left of yoga and Banana wakes up. As you may have read here, this happens. There is no peaceful ending to the practice today. Still, I let her make noise for a while and finish.

I feed her lunch. Joe comes home (benefit to working two miles from home) and we both eat our lunch. The rest of the day is a blur. I don't slow down. I finish the laundry, straighten the house, take the monkey with me to the grocery store, get ready for dinner guests, and oh yeah, chase around a very curious toddler. (Right now she is in to opening the kitchen drawers and reaching for whatever she can pull out. Dog treats, pens, utensils, and scissors for example.) She's also still into cords, books, magazines, and just about everything else I'd rather her not be. I put her down for an afternoon nap around 3 (usually it's closer to 2). She never sleeps. She makes various noises escalating to a tantrum. I manage to get done what I can, shower and dress, all just in time to walk in the room as she is hyperventilating. Enough is enough, Mom, she says. Drama drama. 

my new friends.
they store almost all her junk and have hinged lids!
I pick up the house a little bit since I am obsessive about that, feed the dogs, and set the table. Our dinners with friends Lauren and Pete are usually casual, but today I break out the fine Christmas china and silver because we are celebrating Lauren's birthday! Plus, I love any reason to use our nice stuff - so much better than it sitting in the china cabinet/silver chest all the time untouched. (Why register for it if you're not going to use it?) We have a fun night. Hannah plays with their daughter, Riley, who is two weeks older, and Joe cooks a mean meal and the best dessert ever! Oh my goodness. This is heaven for a chocolate-loving pregnant lady: brownie pudding (aka, brownie batter that's safe to eat). I have two helpings. Fellow preggos, a must!




Company goes home, Hannah goes to bed and it's my other favorite part of the day: adult time. I love this hour or two Joe and I get to spend together, even if it's just watching a show off the DVR together. Just as we are about to head to bed, Monkey wakes up. Very upset. She has, again, soiled her pajamas and the crib sheet. We spend over an hour trying to console her. I bundle her up and Joe takes her outside for a little while (sometimes the only thing that will calm her). It was freezing last night. After some milk and lots of rocking she goes to sleep. Sometime after midnight we go to sleep too. We are exhausted.

I do love my life.

19 weeks

2 comments:

  1. Am I one of the two?! ;) People LOVE this blog - it keeps us in touch - keep up the good work mama!

    You forgot an important part of your day which I will comment on in an email follow-up shortly!

    I LOVE skype mornings - nothing makes me happier! I cannot wait to see y'all on Monday! COUNT DOWN!

    I just hung the same little Christmas board (Ben's) yesterday!! I LOVE it love it! I love the sentiment and it means a lot to Ben. So happy it gets to live on Wisteria Lane! :)

    Glad H still loves her beach ball! What a great under $10 gift ;) It's all about the little things, right?! Beads, beach balls.....pots and pans.....ETC

    Much Love to the Bucks today and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I feel your pain of a day at home with a baby! Brad comes home everyday and asks me what I did that day...and sometimes I have nothing productive to say! It's amazing how much time keeping up the house and taking care of a baby takes! I read your blog...so you'll have to bump that number atleast one! Hope ya'll have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete