Monday, June 14, 2010

who needs savasana?

Sometimes while Hannah is napping, I'll try to squeeze in a yoga practice. I'll put one of my dvd's on, lay out my mat and hope that I make it through the hour before I hear a little voice down the hall. The other day I made it through the standing poses (about half-way through) when I was interrupted. Thinking she might settle back down, I kept on going. Once I realized that the only way she was going to be happy was when I went to get her, I did.

(Pause.)

After I fed her, I put her on the floor near me, amidst her toys, and went back to my practice.

(Unpause.)

My computer starts ringing as someone is no doubt trying to Skype Hannah. I decide to let it go. One thing about Skype - the caller can let it ring forever. And they did...

(Pause.)

(Unpause.)

The house phone rings. I let the answering machine get it. It's my mom. "Hannah!! HANNAH!!!!! It's GRANDMA!!!!!!!"

(Pause.)

A little while later it's back to my practice.

(Unpause.)

Hannah crawls over to my mat, and situates herself right underneath me as I am in adho mukha svanasana - downward-facing dog pose. 

(Pause.)

I am laughing at this point. She's just so cute!


She seems delighted to interrupt me, doesn't she? So I do my floor poses around her. She drools all over the place.

(Unpause.)

I mop up her drool while I workout. I recline for savasana - relaxation (corpse) pose. For the non-yogi readers, this is at the end of the practice where you let your body relax completely. It is restorative. It is restful. It is wonderful. Hannah is busying herself and I am getting half-way relaxed when... Daddy comes home for lunch and the dogs go beserk. Ok, I get it. Practice over.


I do a little baby yoga with Hannah as she rolls around, take some pictures...and then I roll up my mat and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment