Monday, May 12, 2014

three-year stats and letter to joseph

Let me begin by including the last of Joseph's birthday celebration… 

We took cupcakes to Joseph's preschool class the day after we got back from Boston. It was a Friday and a full week after his birthday, but you do what you gotta do. Didn't make a bit of a difference to him. He likes any reason to eat a cupcake! We pulled Hannah from her class so she could join in the fun, too. 





As for milestones and developments, he's right on track.

Height: 37" (50%), growing 2 1/2 inches since last year
Weight: 31 lbs (50%), gaining 6 pounds since last year

He's eating better. Though we still have mealtime issues, he's not throwing up on a regular basis anymore. Praise God. He usually enjoys our time together around the table, but doesn't always want to eat (or sometimes even try) what we're having. He doesn't like the "three polite bites" rule, but he knows that if he doesn't eat what's in front of him, he goes to bed hungry. All in all, eating in general has gotten a whole lot better.

He still takes Miralax with his morning milk, making it 2 1/2 years of doing that. We've recently lowered his dose to 3 tsp (as opposed to the 4-5 we were giving him for many months). As for his GI problems, nothing is for sure, but we think his problem is withholding - meaning he doesn't like to have a BM. This causes him to have many a day (like 6-10), and because he holds it in, he is chronically constipated and gas backs up in his GI tract, making him very bloated (and uncomfortable, naturally). We are not stressed about potty-training as that will be hard for him, but we are working on it. He goes on the toilet 2-3 times/day.

He still sleeps great, getting 11-12 hours at night and 1 1/2 - 2 hours at nap time. He is also still in the crib and has just recently started climbing out, with the help of his sister who pushes his little rocking chair over to the side of the bed. He loves his crib and we are not in a hurry to get him out of it.

He is a very active, curious little boy, and he keeps us very busy (and sometimes very frustrated).


My Joseph,

When I wrote your birthday letter last year, things were just starting to get easier. You were just beginning to feel ok enough to have fun and be the little boy you are suppose to be…



This last year has been so memorable, filled with both happy and sad things. But it was your best year yet, no doubt about it. Finally, you were happy. You were playful… And, even though we haven't fixed your tummy problem, you weren't in pain all the time. You certainly have your days, and you can throw massive tantrums, but in general you are a happy camper. 


 You and Raffie, best friends forever.

Daddy and I enjoyed watching you grow this past year and be your sister's partner-in-crime. We had some really good times, and even if you won't remember them, I take lots of pictures so you can see them. And now you (and Raffie) are three. I can't believe it. 

Your small little world opened up a lot this year. You began talking (like really talking), and haven't stopped. Your vocabulary exploded. You say big words like "mic-u-wave", "ha-mid-i-fi-er" and "e-yeck-chippidy" (electricity). You repeat things, over and over, when you have something to say. I love how you get right in my face when you want to tell me something. And when you whine (yeah, it happens more than I'd like) or are very upset and I can't understand you, your sister almost always does. 

You say sweet things, like: "I play with you, Honey?" and "It's ok, Honey, it's ok." when she's upset. When you are leaving somebody you say, "'oodbye! I see you later!" and when you are in the kitchen with Daddy and me, "group hug!" My favorite thing to hear you say is, "You give me lotta kisses on my cheek" when I do just that. You also say things I don't like. For instance, "You not tell me what to do!" or "I don't want to!" or when you wake me up in the morning and demand, "I want milky and cerewol!!" I'm having trouble even keeping track of all you say. You say new things everyday.

You and Hannah are so close. You have a special form of communication, and can play for hours together in your own world. You also fight and scream. ("You're not my friend anymore!")  You know how to upset each other, and you are both very strong-willed. But usually, you are inseparable, looking out for each other.


You have surprised me with the longevity of your cheesy smile. It's a staple in almost every photograph. Just a sample…


I keep hoping it will go away, but until it does I'll just try to wait patiently for a nice family picture.

Some other things about you:

You like doing our supper-time ritual of "high and low". The "high" of your day is always going outside. You would live outside - on the back porch or playing in the yard. You've figured out how to use the key and get out the door so now keys are hung up high on the door hinges.

You love riding in the jeep with your sister driving, always making sure that you are safe before speeding off. You can climb up the ladder and have just started wanting to swing. Hannah is teaching you how. As she does most things.

You are really cute when you say the blessing, closing your eyes and nodding your head, saying the words your own unique way. You say "Amen" after we pray with you in your crib at night. For a long time after you'd sneeze and we would say "bless you" you would say "bless you" back. 

You love water. Washing dishes, playing in the sink, taking baths, playing with the hose outside…you love it all. But you are also completely fascinated by a fire. "Put fire on!" was one thing I heard everyday all winter long (and even after it wasn't cold anymore).

You don't like the sun in your eyes. At all. But you have this cool pair of blue sunglasses that you love.

You love to "help" and you always want to "hold it". The "helper stool" gets a lot of use, even when Daddy or I would really rather not have your help. You are a little cleaner, playing with your vacuum (and mine), the dustpan, and the Swiffer that Uncle Mark resized just for you. 

You love music and you love to sing. "Deep and Wide" and "What a Mighty God We Serve" are two of your favorites. You know the words to a lot of songs, singing along in the car and at home. Every night you want to hear "Go Tell it On the Mountain" before you go to bed. But you also love when Mommy or Daddy sings "I See the Moon" and adds your special verse. You know most of the words to these songs.

You have the biggest sweet tooth I've ever seen. You take after your daddy.

You like to build things with your Duplo Legos, play with the trains, and just tinker in general. Lately, you like to move around the playroom - even relocating it to the living room at times. I can hear you dragging the kitchen across the floor right now… You and Honey call it "making a house", lining up things and creating rooms. 

You are curious and inquisitive. You ask lots of questions and get into mischief quite a bit.

You can almost sit through a TV show, Team Umizoomi and Mickey Mouse being your favorite. 

Hands down your current favorite activity comes in the form of a green and yellow vehicle in the backyard: your new tractor. You've had it almost a month now and you play on it for hours at a time. To be honest, I dread when you can't go outside because all I hear is, "But Moooooomma. I wanna play with my tractor!!!"

You are the ticklish kid I know. Daddy and I love how you laugh and laugh. When we have to put vapor rub on your chest and feet, you can barely stand it. My little tickle bug… 

You are still my little boy who loves to cuddle and rock and give kisses. You don't sit still much at all anymore, but occasionally I get a few minutes with you in my arms. You are a momma's boy, and I'm fine with that. I love you so much, my sweet Josey. I thank God for the gift you are. I pray everyday for God to guide Daddy and me as we raise you and teach you things, and I pray that Jesus will live in your heart. You are precious to me.

I love you so much,

Momma


Some favorite photos from the past year:


{making Momma's coffee, a daily ritual}

{playing with the water fountains at Sea Island}

{spending time with family on Tybee}


{cuddling up with Daddy on his hospital bed}


{playing with Hannah's new parasol at her Fancy Nancy birthday party}

{being a shark for Halloween}



{Christmas card photos}

{a very cold winter - and your first snow!}

{your valentine photo}

{Mardi Gras masks you decorated for you and Raffie}

And there are just too many I love of you and Honey, so I did two more collages this year. I love how close you two are, and I think this just about captures the bond perfectly… 

{April - October}


{November - April}



1 comment:

  1. Third time's the charm, I hope!
    What a wonderful, intimate conversation with your son that you shared with the world! It brought me to tears and swallowed sobs. Joseph will really appreciate it when he is grown. You are an amazing mother. I love you! Mamma Buck (GranGran)

    ReplyDelete