Wednesday, October 9, 2013

grateful for their love

There are some things I just crazy love about my kids. Little quirks, favorite sayings, or some of the things they do that make me fall in love with them more and more.

For example, the way Hannah does her eyes when she's trying to look pathetic. Or the way she tries to discipline Joseph. And the way Joseph eats a sandwich cut into triangles - one bite from each one at a time. Or the way he goes to sit with Hannah when she's in time-out... If I sit here long enough I'm sure many things I love about my babies would come to me, but one of my favorites is how in tune they are with each other, seemingly to always know the others needs...sometimes before I do.


We went to Savannah on Monday for Joseph's follow-up appointment with a pediatric GI at Memorial. Our initial visit a month ago yielded an aggressive clean-out (insert: complete misery), a changed maintenance plan, and lab results showing normal blood work. The doctor determined that Joseph likely had celiac disease, based on his x-ray, symptoms, and behavioral patterns. But, as the labs showed, this was not the case. {You may remember one of last year's post about Joseph that he's already been tested (negative), but this doctor wanted to test for it again. Thankfully, this lab experience was much, much better than the last.} His official diagnosis is chronic constipation. Hopefully, prayerfully rather, this is something that he will outgrow.


Monday, after looking at his x-ray, we found out that we needed to do another clean-out. Both Monday and yesterday while giving Joseph the enema, Hannah was right there, at times in his face, trying to comfort him. If you've ever had to go through this with a child, you know how horrible the experience can be...especially after the first time and they know what's coming. But Hannah was so concerned for her brother, she was desperately trying to make it better, trying to reassure him that it was ok. She sang, "read" his favorite book, did anything she could think of as he cried. It was like she was feeling his pain.


And yesterday, as I took Hannah to the doctor for her 4-year-old well check, Joseph was there for her. When it came time for the shots, and I laid Hannah down on the exam table, Joseph brought her Raffie to hold. Then, as I held Hannah still and the nurse started administering the shots (she had four), Hannah started crying and Joseph got right there in her face. It was like he was feeling her pain.


They love each other so much and it warms my heart when I see them act that way toward each other. I thank God for their loving, compassionate nature and the relationship they share. 

On my desk in the home office there is a framed picture of the four of us. Written on the frame are the words: The love of a family is life's greatest blessing. I am beyond grateful for that love.


No comments:

Post a Comment