Wednesday, October 9, 2013

back in the saddle

{Warning: delinquent post ahead}

Back on September 1, Joe preached for the first time since his accident. I wanted to share his piece from the bulletin that week...

For some reason the lyrics to “Back in the Saddle Again” by Gene Autry have been bouncing around my head this week. Maybe it was because I actually was able to take part in leading worship this past Sunday, or maybe it was because I am going to be returning to my normal role during our worship service this Sunday. Either way, I hear Gene Autry’s voice right now.
As I return to my pastoral role in worship this week, I had to start preparing a sermon, which I haven’t done in over six weeks. Six weeks is a long time to be away from the pulpit. Truth be told, I won’t actually be preaching from the pulpit as I will be sitting down for the sermon, but you get the general idea. I won’t be “totin’ my old .44” but the Holy Bible will be in my hand. I will be back in the saddle again.
Isaiah tells us, “The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand forever.” In the midst of suffering and doubt, the Word of God stands firm. When we live apart from God or experience a time when God seems distant, we should not choose to make our own way. Followers of Jesus get back in the saddle, honoring and worshipping God, even when it seems like life is telling them to do something else. God is the anchor we need when life gets rough and we feel lost. It is resting firmly in God’s hand, ensconced in His Word, where we find our comfort and peace.

Blessings to you,
                             Joe


P.S. Please continue to pray for me during this challenging time as I attempt to get back in the saddle.

That Sunday morning at worship after the prelude, Mrs. Bonita, our pianist, unbeknownst to Joe, started playing "Back in the Saddle Again". As Joe stood up and made his way to the pulpit on crutches, the congregation gave him a standing ovation. It was a wonderful welcome back, and I was so proud of him as tears filled my eyes.


PS - This post was meant to be published weeks ago, but after three attempts I haven't been able to figure out how to get an audio clip to upload on Blogger. If you know how to do that, please inform me. Otherwise, take my word for it. It was very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment