Thursday, January 10, 2013

out of the mouths of babes

Just wanted to pop in and share a couple things Hannah has said lately. As you probably know, I write it all down - from her very first words and phrases to the funny or peculiar things that come out of her mouth. Her vocabulary is dramatically expanding and each day she surprises me with new words or sayings (usually something one of the bigger people living here say...). It is a good thing that we don't cuss in this house, and that we watch what we say in front of the kids (stupid and shut-up are bad words!).

She's very opinionated and if I've picked out something for her to wear that she doesn't like, she will pitch. a. fit. She also tells me, without reserve, when I'm wearing something she doesn't like. I came to help her on the potty once and she asked me, in a disgusted tone, what shirt I was wearing, told me she didn't like it and to take it off. {I do not oblige. I'm just as stubborn as she is. It was a flannel shirt, by the way.} She asks me every day (yes, every day), "Momma, why you don't have 'scara on?" or "I'm so disappointed you don't have on 'scara." or "Mom, I'm soooo glad you have on 'scara!!!" Look, kid, I'm a stay-at-home mom. Putting mascara on is not a daily occurrence. Of course, the teachers at the preschool think this is hilarious, as she usually is disappointed in me when I pick her up.

Anyway, I've rambled. While there is no possible way to keep track of all the good stuff she says nowadays, I did jot down these conversations from the past week:

{One night after baths, we were at the sink. I had put Joseph in his pajamas and was putting lotion on Hannah. Joseph shut himself in the toilet/tub room. I started to hear that distinct sound of the toilet paper unraveling...and then tear....tear.....tear. I went in to remove him from the room and clean up the mess.}

H: (from her stool) Momma...we need another baby.
me: What?
H: We need another baby.
me: We need another baby?
H: Uh huh.
me: Why?
H: (matter-of-factly) 'Cause Josey is not good.......'cause Josey needs to go in the trashcan.

and this one from Tuesday...

{When H woke up from her nap, I heard her talking to herself, as she often does. I came in the room...}

me: Whatcha talkin' about?
H: I'm just talkin' about all the kinds of days that I like.
me: What kind of days do you like?
H: Thanksgiving.......Halloween...Christmas... All those days are over. And I just want to celebrate them again... (long pause).....They're my favorite. And they're over... And I want them to come back.

The thought-process of a three-year-old is fascinating. It's not always the words she says, often it's just the way she says them or the appropriateness to the situation. I love her innocence, her language, her personality. The age of three has been by far the most challenging, but it has also been the most fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment