Wednesday, April 2, 2014

hippity hoppity

I love getting ready for Easter. Lent is all about preparing your heart and mind for the Lord and something about that has the power to change your whole mindset. That feeling of love, forgiveness and grace extends to my daily interactions with people as well as the happiness in my household.

On top of that, for me anyway, there's spring cleaning and the urge to check things off the to-do list. You know, the ones that have been sitting there for a while (in my case, months), staring at you in the face, begging for a checkmark. Again…I am speaking for myself. I know some of you are happily not doing any spring cleaning or have time for any home projects. But that urge to cross things off the procrastination list - little home projects, fixing broken things, look into this, file that, call them… has enabled me to get some things accomplished. And being a stay-at-home mom with little ones definitely makes you crave that sense of accomplishment once in a while!

So back to Easter.


Easter decorations might be my favorite of all decorations. We don't have a lot, but every year I look forward to putting the stuff out around the house. Obviously Hannah loves to help, my little decorator, and Joseph…well, Joseph likes to find whatever toy (meant to be played with or not) and get into trouble.


I used our crystal monogrammed pitcher on the breakfast room table to hold egg picks I bought from the Dollar Tree. The pitcher was a wedding gift but is so fragile (this is actually the second one we've had and has a small crack at the handle) that it's not really functional to be used for the purpose it was designed. But I hate to part with it, so I use it for other things. The bunny votive holders are from Meme. The carrots hang on the chest. They are from Pier One.


We bought Hannah and Joseph their baskets (from PB Kids) for their first Easters. I ordered Joseph's before he was born as he was only a few days old his first Easter Sunday. The Peter Rabbit design is my favorite. And Hannah's could not be more appropriate… A couple years ago I found the rabbit and lamb for their dressers.

A long time ago when I was living in Atlanta, my mom gave me a set of three little nesting Easter bunnies. {My mom loves decorations even more than I do.} They have made it through many moves but not through the curious and playful hands of children. The littlest bunny was the first to lose an ear. Then another… And then only a few days after putting them out this year, the big bunny broke an ear. I tried to fix it with two types of glue, but the best I got was this:


No idea where that missing piece went. I could keep him and call him Evander Holyfield, but the inevitable… The little one's ears were gone for good. At this point the middle bunny was still intact. I picked him up to hand to Hannah, and I dropped him. Not even joking. Apparently my hands are just as capable of breaking them as Hannah's or Joseph's.


So three little bunnies hopped off to the trashcan. Sad, but they were enjoyed for many years.

My mom also gave us the little bunnies perched on top of the china cabinet. Notice, they still have ears. The secret to bunnies with ears is to put them up high. We have three of those egg wreaths, which I found at CVS (score!). The other two hang on the hall and laundry room doors in the breakfast room. They are my favorite decorations. 

I wanted something to go over the baskets on the dining room buffet, but didn't want to spend any money. We had lots of plastic eggs so I strung some up and hung across the mirror.


If you're interested, it's very easy to do. You need plastic eggs, string (I used jute) and scissors.


The eggs already have holes in them, generally. Depending on the thickness of your string, you may need to use the scissors to make them bigger, as I did:


Thread the string though the eggs.


And adjust spacing as needed. On a few of mine I had to tie knots in the string to get the eggs with holes too big to stay put.


Very simple. Not a formal decoration, but fun.


And we are all about fun. Speaking of the dining room, I filled my dough bowl with natural raffia but have nothing for inside of it. 


Maybe this year, I'll go au naturel.

No comments:

Post a Comment