Thursday, September 13, 2012

by joe



Below is Joe's piece from the most recent church newsletter. We thought it was kinda funny that he wrote this before he read my letter to Hannah. I had no idea he was writing about our family either...

Raising children is an experiment for Lindsey and me. We have never done it before, so like many people, we are learning as we go. With the usual limitation of paralysis by analysis and the consultation of countless experts, we try to do what’s best for our children, but it is still just a grand experiment. Lindsey and I try to keep Hannah and Joseph in the worship service as long as she (and they) can stand it, which isn’t always easy. But we want them to know what church looks and sounds like; we want it to be a familiar place.
So, the experiment continues. 

Then there is the occasional Sunday like we had two weeks ago. Hannah has always felt comfortable saying hello to me or saying “Amen” at points in the service. I know this will end one day, but I do enjoy it when it happens. On this particular day, the choir sang an arrangement of “Amazing Grace” beautifully. As they began singing, Hannah said to Lindsey almost loud enough that I understood her, “My daddy sings that song to me.” Joseph also chimed in and began singing as loud as the choir (I also sing that hymn to him as well). This came after the pastoral prayer where I talked about sharing with God, and Hannah said to Lindsey, “Like I share with Joseph.” 

Our children may not understand everything we do in worship, but some of it is staying with them. That gives me hope for them, but also for the rest of us. Maybe the anthem, or a hymn, or even the sermon stays with us. Maybe it gives us hope or assurance. Maybe the worship and adoration of God makes us better people. I look forward to worshipping with you this week. Who knows what may happen. 

Blessings to you, 

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment