Sunday, October 10, 2010

a piece from joe


Most of the time I like Joe's Sunday bulletin pieces. But occasionally he writes one that really speaks to me. Here is one such example. Hope you enjoy...


"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

I have always loved this quote from C.S. Lewis: it really puts a great perspective on Christianity. Lewis knew a life without that sun, and he appreciated the beauty of the world that Christianity opened up to him, as we hopefully all do as well.

This week I was driving down Hwy. 84 and the sun was rising straight ahead, breaking through the clouds. It was beautiful! I thought at that moment about the beauty of the earth. There is so much beauty that we can scarcely take it all in sometimes. Yet, there are times in our daily lives that we can't see a single shred of that beauty. That is so unfortunate, because perspective makes our existence significantly different.

Lewis' use of the sun is relatable to us as we all see the world in the light of day because of the sun's rays. Christianity, our faith in Jesus, enables us to see all that God has for us and makes every day livable. When we struggle to feel God's presence and aren't sure why we are here, God's presence is right there. We just have to open our eyes, feel the warmth of the sun, and know that God is surrounding us and loves us.

Daddy likes his time with Hannah before church every Sunday.
Two weeks ago, Mama Buck came to church with us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment