Tuesday, October 19, 2010

like dandelion dust


"What if the only child you ever loved was taken from you forever?"

Last night I stayed up late finishing the inspirational novel, Like Dandelion Dust, by Karen Kingsbury. Read this book if you get the chance. It was an emotional read. The story is about birth parents that try to regain custody of their 4yr old son who has been living with adoptive parents since birth. Understanding the lengths that someone will go through to keep their child or get them back is powerful. Let me just say I cannot imagine being in either mother's position.

Having a child now of my own made everything that much more relatable. It truly hurts me to my core to think about this kind of thing happening. While Hannah belongs to Joe and me, the whole time reading this book I couldn't help but think about the what if's. What if Hannah was taken away from us? What if someone or something out of our control made us give her up? These are questions that no one wants to think about, including me. But occasionally you read a book or article, or see a movie that makes you think about things that you would otherwise refuse to.  

Like Dandelion Dust is also a movie. (To see the movie trailer click here.) It is playing in theaters, but not very many, and I don't think I'll have the chance to see it. Karen Kingsbury is a Christian author who writes "life-changing fiction." She writes about real circumstances and real people. My mom will buy and read her books and then send them to me. (I have a big stack of books I need to read.) Joe calls her books "dramatic fiction" and insists that they all make me cry at some point. I think he's exaggerating. Regardless, I am always glad I read them. I strive to be a better Christian and books like these help me remember my priorities and where my focus should always be: on God.

3 comments:

  1. love love her books as well. I'll be picking it up- thanks for the recommendation. My sister and I do the same thing as you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never read any of her books before- until last week! My mom gave me This Side of Heaven and told me I needed to read it, so I started it on the way to Tuscaloosa and finished on Monday night. It definitely made me cry! I'll have to try more of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keri - interested to see what you think.
    michelle - i haven't read that one! i love all of the baxter family series.

    ReplyDelete