Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy Week and spring cleaning...

Yesterday marks the beginning of the most important week of the church year.  Each year at this time I spend a good part of my time reflecting (more than usual) on the true meaning of Easter - bunnies and eggs aside.  I find myself in awe of Christ and how He laid down His life for us.  Yesterday at our Palm Sunday service the choir sang their Easter Cantata (with a beautiful solo from my hubby!).  The title could not better describe the depth and wonder of Christ's sacrifice: "No Greater Love."

It's also springtime, which brings with it two words I love: spring cleaning.  (I know you are looking for the segue-way here.  I'll get to that in a minute.)  I do love a clean house.  Joe even thinks I'm a little obsessed about it.  Or a lot obsessed.  I don't like clutter.  I don't like dust.  I like the carpet freshly vacuumed and the kitchen and bathrooms spotless.  When I practice yoga and notice that the coffee table is dusty or the rug needs to be vacuumed badly, I have a hard time staying focused.  I like to clean and organize most of the time.  That's how I harness my chi.  It's how I decompress.  I feel happy and relaxed when the house is in order.  I realize that that is not always reality with a baby in tow.  But I make do.  I clean when I can.  I pick up as I go about my day caring for Hannah.  I even put her in the Moby Wrap or Bjorn and do housework on occasion.

So that brings me to today's post.  This year I've decided to spend Holy Week combining these two ideas.  I seriously need to do some cleaning and housework, and I can always use more time in prayer and reflection.   While I clean, I'll reflect on God's goodness and praise Him.  I'll pray for friends and family and the many concerns on my mind.  I'll meditate on how I can be a better Christian.  My goal is to come to Easter morning, with a clean house and a clean heart.  Hopefully Hannah will have a good week and this will be a Lenten success.  I'll keep you posted!

On another note, Joe has completed his coursework for both doctoral classes he took in January.  Hallelujah!  He has a busy week with four worship services to prepare for.  Though he is quite nervous about me "organizing" and making my way through his kitchen, I hope he enjoys coming home to a cleaner house as the week goes by...

Here are a couple pictures from yesterday.  Hannah enjoyed the palm...



1 comment: