Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cash for Cuisinart???

Good morning, friends and family.  Earlier I enjoyed two cups of hazelnut coffee, thanks to hubs.  Yes, I am that spoiled wife who's husband brews her coffee (though he doesn't drink it himself).  I am a blessed blessed wife for many reasons, but that's one blessing that greets me when I start my day.  I'll be in the nursery feeding Hannah and hear those 4 precious beeps from my Cuisinart coffeemaker and smile.

That brings me to today's post.  You see, the Buck family loves Cuisinart.  They make great, quality kitchen products, several of which we are proud owners.  Sad to say, the same cannot be said of our newest (as of Christmas) product.  Ben and Will, my dear brothers, gave me the Grind & Brew Thermal 10-cup Automatic Coffeemaker.  The wonderful thing about this one is how it brews freshly ground beans.  For those of you who don't know, I am a coffee fanatic.  You see, I am the woman from the Dunkin Donuts ad with the coffee cup dragging her across town... I worked at Starbucks for over a year while in Atlanta. 

I was excited to get a coffeemaker that would make such fresh coffee without me having to use my separate grinder (so lazy, right?).  The problem?  Well, I like my java HOT (note capitalization).  Joe calls me "asbestos mouth."  I have no problem exposing myself to unnecessary radiation by sticking my not-quite-hot-enough cup o'joe in the microwave.  This machine comes with a double-insulated stainless steel thermal carafe.  However, it does not keep the coffee hot.  My first cup is fine, but subsequent cups have to go in the microwave immediately after pouring from the pot.  Not acceptable. 

The other problem I have with this machine is all the parts that must be washed after each use. Count 'em - six.  The carafe and lid, the filter basket and cover, and the grinder and grinder enclosure.  (Seven parts if you use the gold-tone commercial style permanent filter.)  That's insane.  You don't have to wash a grinder every time you grind, do you?  But because it is all in one machine, moisture gets in all the parts.  Two words - design flaw.  (Coming from a Georgia Tech interior designer, you had to see that one coming.) 

I can deal with the washing of all the parts, but it's the temperature of the coffee that led me to Cuisinart customer service.  After explaining my situation and reiterating our household loyalty to their product line, I asked what could be done.  I was instructed to measure the temp of the coffee directly following brewing, to call back, and depending on the outcome possibly be able to exchange for a new pot.  160 degrees.  WHAT?  No wonder.  I was told the temp should be 180-190.  So I called back to report my findings.  This representative told me that my coffeemaker was brewing right as it should be.  Something's missing in this equation...  After expressing my complete dissatisfaction, I was given the choice of two different coffeemakers to choose from to replace mine.  I chose the Coffee on Demand model.  We bought this one for Joe's mom and she enthusiastically endorsed it.  It is a carafe-less machine that dispenses coffee by a "press to serve" lever and even has a cute little gas - er, coffee - gauge that lets you know just how much is left.  Her coffee is always hot (she's a fellow asbestos-mouth). 

I was informed by the Cuisinart rep that I would be "downgrading" by choosing this model.  If I have to "downgrade" to get hot coffee, then so be it.  I can easily use my own grinder to have that freshly ground coffee taste.  The good news is, my new coffeemaker that makes HOT coffee is on its way.  The bad news is....in 4-6 weeks.  Ofcourse that model is on backorder.  One just like mine can ship today!!!  Wow, how funny?  Sorry, Ben and Will, your heart was in the right place.

The Coffee on Demand 12-cup Automatic Coffeemaker

1 comment:

  1. No more Christmas presents for you! Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete