Monday, July 28, 2014

old houses and a dream

I've been taking the kids for long walks this summer. With the knee thing going on, running can sometimes be a problem but I don't have trouble walking - even while pushing the weight of a 4- and 3-yr old. They like getting outside and are usually pretty good in the stroller. Occasionally we have little squabbles like, say, when one of them thinks both sun canopies should be down and the other doesn't, or when someone's legs aren't on their side. But, generally speaking, we enjoy our time outdoors walking around Sandersville. When we go, I am seeking a good work-out so we go, hills and all, for 45 minutes to an hour or more.

I like to look at houses as I run or walk by. I examine them - good design choices and interesting ones - and consider what I might do if that particular house belonged to me (or dream it did belong to me). Sometimes it's as simple as a paint job, in other cases there's a whole laundry list of things that come to mind. It is a passion, even if just in my head for now.

Buying, restoring and renovating an old house is a dream of mine. When I say old, I'm not talking about 1970. I'm talking more like 1870 - or somewhere in the early 1900's. Joe and I own a small bungalow in Ardsley Park in Savannah, built in 1930. It was where Joe lived when we got married and our first nest. And that little two-bedroom, one-bath house with a screened porch has a special place in my heart, even if I did complain a bit about the infinitesimal closet space. I spent a lot of time on our front porch swing and making that house our first home together… But, I digress.

There is no shortage of old houses in this small southern town with great character. Recently I snapped some pictures with my phone while on a walk with Hannah and Joseph of a few on my route. A few I'd like to get my hands on…


I love that one above. There is an entrance on the side there with a little porch. The roofline, the wood siding, the huge original ornate front door… And here's another one:


Might not seem like anything to you, but that's the one I'd like to re-do the most. Cannot get enough of that porch!

This one was built in 1900 and is for sale and listed for $75,000:


The only thing I can think is that it's in real bad shape inside. Also for sale, over 100 years hold, and in need of a lot of TLC:


It's way too big for me, but has great potential. This one is in good shape, I just love it:


I'm not interested in flipping houses, but if there was someone here that would do that to some of these, I would love to watch! And with three of these fixer-uppers being on our main street, it would sure make the drive/walk that much more beautiful.


Maybe down the road I'll have my dream of restoring an old house. Or my dream of building a new low-country one. Or just my dream of having my own house to do whatever I want with! I have lots of dreams in the house department… But for now, I live vicariously through my family and friends building, renovating and decorating theirs. Not to lose sight of my blessings, I am grateful that our church here has a nice parsonage (way nicer than some of our peers' parsonages) for us to live in. Don't think I'm not thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment