Saturday, July 12, 2014

gran gran and yard work

It's been a great week - starting and ending with birthday parties. We brought Gran Gran (my mother-in-law) back with us from Savannah last Saturday to spend a few days in the Ville. The Monkey had a swimming party that next afternoon. Her swimming has come a long way - I mean, like from not leaving the steps to swimming on her own - in just a couple weeks. She even got up the courage to jump off the diving board!


My good friend, Deana, was there in the deep end, encouraging her along. She should be charging for her swim lessons! So glad I took some videos so Daddy (and grandparents, aunts and uncles) could see:



 {From left: Maggie, Cole, Hannah, Jane, Kate, Kessler and Carrie}


Happy birthday to Katie! 

This week was super hot, with temps in the 90s by lunchtime. We took Gran Gran with us to the pool one day and the rest we played outside until the heat was unbearable, then we played inside. There was a lot of tractor riding, puzzles, and books. We ran some errands and went out to lunch. The kids got surprises at Walmart one day: Honey picked "Frozen" and Josey picked bubbles and "colors" for the bath. You can imagine how the rest of that day went… 

It's really a shame I didn't take more pictures. One thing I did capture was the kids helping their GG in the yard. To be clear, we do have a lawn service that keeps our yard cut and edged. And we do tell her that she doesn't need to do anything…but, she loves it, and she does it anyway. We happened to talk about this pesky holly bush that has come back from supposedly being taking out last summer (yeah right). She took it as her personal mission to pull that thing up - big roots and all. Well, the kids love to help and stand over her (undoubtedly asking questions the whole time) while she works. 


Notice that border of pine straw with hydrangeas and azaleas? Before I continue our week, let me back up to Memorial Day weekend, when Joe and I did something about the eyesore that is the back of our backyard. It was more than an eyesore. It was a haven for poison ivy and who knows what else behind all the trees in the back of the yard (ticks? snakes?!). We didn't like the kids going back there but the lack of a border made it difficult to establish boundaries. So we created one. Instead of waiting on the church to approve a landscaper to do it and for all that to happen, on Memorial Day weekend we threw the kids in the car and went out and bought some bushes to plant ourselves. Joseph carried plants in the jeep and Hannah carried water in the front-loader. Joe dug holes and I planted. It was a team effort.



Now we can say "Don't go past the bushes!"



Gran Gran cleaned up back there a bit and our yard has never looked so good. Truth be told, I'm just glad we have grass. It took a while to fill in this year - and a lot of water and weed killer! It has also been very dry. GG and I prayed all week for rain and Wednesday afternoon we finally got some for the first time in weeks, I think. I don't know how long it had been, but we were parched in our neck of the woods.

Thursday, Poppy came to take Gran Gran home. We checked out Hannah's new school and lunched at McDonald's before they went back to Savannah. Sadly, this is the one picture I have of GG and her Sandersville grandbabies.


Joe met us for lunch and I realized that my three were all in turquoise. As much as I love coordinating outfits, I did not plan this. Still, I had to take a photo of them. {I was in linen pants and a white tank, so no need to include me in the picture.}


Goodness… I can just stare at this photo and I'm so full of love and gratitude - for them and for the amazing God that gave them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment