Wednesday, March 19, 2014

sick, pre-k camp-out, and other stuff

Hannah was out of school the better part of last week. She had one of those super high fevers again that took a while to come down. This time, though, there were almost no other symptoms. She complained a couple times of a stomachache and a few times of a headache - but over the course of several days. It was weird. The fever went down over Thursday night and by Friday morning she was fever-free. Who knows…viral, I guess.

We had a nice time and I liked keeping her home with me. We went for a walk and found this pretty tree in our neighborhood. 


Anybody know what it's called? Hannah loved it.


One day, I surprised her with The Sound of Music. I DVR'd it a long time ago and she really liked it. I love it, too. I had it on VHS, recorded from TV, but we no longer have it (or a VCR for that matter). She was excited, as you can tell…



Had to take a picture of this happy cutie as she watched:


And since it's quite a long movie, her brother woke up from his nap and watched some too.


On Thursday morning, my small group met here at the house. I told Hannah she would need to stay in her room. She was so sweet, quiet in her room, constructing this:


…a "tent" for her dolls (they were inside). She was proud of it. I thought it was pretty clever myself. And Fancy. The dolls had everything they could possibly need in there.


On Friday, I finally took down the tissue poms that were hanging in the playroom. They were put up for the Fancy Hannah party in September (10 or 12 in all) and, well, we just left them up. Too much work to only enjoy for a little while. The throw-outer in me was starting to itch and I thought they kinda obstructed the view of the children's artwork I just hung along the moulding. At first Hannah was not happy with the idea of taking the poms down (unlike her momma, she doesn't like to get rid of ANYthing), but then decided she was ok with it and had a good time crushing them.


She donned her favorite tutu and convinced me to let her watch another movie.


…and climbed right up there to select it for herself.


Early Saturday morning, at 2am, Joe left to go camp out in front of the board of education to get Hannah into pre-k. There were 47 spots available and we were number twenty-something in line. A friend who is hoping to send her child to the same school had her teenage daughter and a friend sit in chairs for us from 10:30pm-2 when Joe and the other dad took over. The line was 50 or 60 people long by midnight! When I got there in the morning with the kids, Joe was cold and tired. He's such a good daddy.


Government funding for pre-k isn't finalized until July, but we are pretty sure she's in. A relief!

The rest of the weekend was relatively low-key. Hannah was well enough to go to a royal birthday party and we had supper at a friends' house.

{Fingers and toes by Erin.} 

 {Sitting beside Princess Katie.}

Always one to do her own thing, she didn't want to wear one of her princess costumes; she wanted to wear her flower girl dress from Uncle Will Will and Aunt Crystal's wedding. I couldn't really object, her mind was made up. I suggested she wear her new lace up the leg ballets adorned with little flowers, and - once she grabbed some accessories - she was Princess Hannah.

  {"Nana" Anna with all the princesses.}


When it came to the piñata, Hannah didn't seem at all concerned about being in the front of the line. Unlike her competitive parents, she was completely fine being the last one in line. She didn't even get a chance, as the piñata was busted open by the ninth or tenth person. And, when it comes to going after the candy, she's even less concerned. 


It's funny…and I love it. Don't get me wrong. She is competitive about a lot of things, but there is something about piñatas, I guess…

While subdued during the party, by supper she was back to her usual goofy self.



No comments:

Post a Comment