Tuesday, December 17, 2013

not how we planned it...

I am writing from my iPad, sitting in a vinyl chair next to Joe's hospital bed. I got here a little before 11, bearing a Starbucks green tea latte and oatmeal. Things are calm at the moment, so I thought I'd do a quick update. I also don't have my journal, and this blog is usually somewhat like that, though (don't worry) not a tell-all. More of tidbits from our journey through life. 

We checked in yesterday morning at 6am for what was suppose to be a relatively simple procedure to remove the hardware they put in his leg following his bike accident. I was with him until 8 when they wheeled him from holding to the OR. Since I was by myself, it was nice to be with him for that long... Surgery was scheduled to begin at 8:15 and they were pretty much right on time. The procedure was suppose to last around an hour, and at 9:17 the phone rang in the waiting room. He was in recovery!

The doctor came in to talk to me a little while later. The news not what I was hoping for... When they went in the lateral/fibula side (the side where he's had the complications), they found infection. They removed it, as well as the hardware on that side, took cultures, and then put in temporary sutures. He said they would need to keep him two days, and go in again on Wednesday. 

We finally got a room at 5pm. I helped get Joe settled and then drove home last night to be with the kids. Dear friends helped all day (starting at 4:30am!), took H+J to and from school, fed and entertained them, and delivered dinner. I am so grateful to Bett, Deana and Brannen. I also had lots of offers to help from other friends in Sandersville. We are surrounded by good people, I'm telling you!

Our patient:



So here we are, Tuesday afternoon. The only update we have is that Joe talked to the doctor this morning. We might have culture results back by tonight, but more likely not til the morning (they take 48 hours to grow). Surgery is scheduled for 10am tomorrow. Depending on what kind of infection/situation we are dealing with, the hardware on the tibia side may not be removed. Either way, they'll clean him out and stitch him up. 

We are thankful, as always, for the prayers. If all goes well, we will be out of here tomorrow afternoon sometime. God willing! We want to go home, turn on the tree, watch Christmas movies and wrap presents! 

Deana sent pictures of the littles' adventures yesterday:

Dressing up...



Swinging...


Hiking...


Snacking (yogurt, of course)...


Watching Sleeping Beauty...



They had a grand old time!



No comments:

Post a Comment