Saturday, December 19, 2015

HE deserves my best

Earlier, as I started to update the blog, I began to write what's below. But then I got caught up in trying to catch up on all we have had going on, and it became a lengthy post with pictures and I decided they just didn't go together.

But, I didn't want to leave this part out, as that's how it all started in my head (and in my heart), so here goes...


This morning I read a devotional about Anna from Luke 2. (The widowed prophetess at the temple when Mary and Joseph brought the infant Jesus.) I have to admit I've never really stopped to appreciate her part of the story and unpack what those few verses about her mean.

The prayer at the end of the devotional definitely hit me hard, resonating in my soul: 
...You deserve more than the few crumbs that fall from my too-full calendar. You deserve my best. A heart of worship, night and day. A willingness to add fasting and more prayer time to my life. Please teach me to be still, to wait, to listen and always to give thanks. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

More than the crumbs that fall from my too-full calendar... Wow. Yep, I have definitely been guilty of that.

We are in the midst of Christmas-season busyness in our family. The last week (plus), we've had things going on every night...and during the day some, with school activities and parties. It has been a lot of fun, but also a lot of late nights and tired babies. Throw work and regular to-dos into the mix and Momma and Daddy have been tired, too!

I am also quite sure I've never had as many behavior problems with my children as I have over the last month. I understand that they are excited, getting less sleep, and likely feel the stress that also rears its ugly head this time of year...but still. They have been bickering, whining, and having melt-downs much more than is typical. 


Hannah and Joseph generally get along pretty well. They are close in age (19 months) and usually play well together. They are best friends. But even best friends have their moments. And I do not have the patience or gentleness that is required to handle squabble after squabble. I find myself wanting to pour a glass of wine and escape to a long peaceful bath. Or shut them in their rooms and grab a book. Or leave them in the house fighting over toys, while I run off somewhere. 

Hopefully, now that school is out, and I feel less pressed trying to tackle super-long to-do lists, things can be more peaceful. Hopefully! 



I read this recently and loved it so much that I scribbled it onto a piece of paper that I look at several times a day... 
Perfect peace isn't dependent on circumstances.
It comes from a steadfast, trusting heart.
Let's start this Christmas season by intentionally growing our steadfastness
by focusing our trust on God who is faithful.
The resulting peace will point to the savior we're celebrating.

I know we are past the starting point of the Christmas season, but the truth held in those words is vital - to my sanity and to my peace - that every day I find it helpful. Just taking time to be intentional and focusing my thoughts on Jesus, the reason for this season, changes everything. 

God deserves more than the crumbs from my too-full calendar. He deserves my wholehearted devotion. Yours, too. Right now during Advent, let's take time for Jesus!


{Cute shirt is from Meme; photo this morning by Hannah.}


No comments:

Post a Comment