Saturday, April 4, 2015

my first 10k

Last Friday-Saturday we were in Macon for the Cherry Blossom Festival and my first 10-K. I've been really excited to race this distance and had been looking forward to it. We went over on Friday afternoon, got settled at a friends' and then went to, what else?, eat pizza at Mellow Mushroom.

Hannah was excited to see Buzz:


Saturday morning, my girlfriend Elisha and I ran the Cherry Blossom 10-K, benefitting Wesley Glen Ministries. Anticipating a nice, mild, end-of-March morning, I planned on wearing shorts and a tank. As race day got closer, the weather forecast was not changing; it was going to be cold. Good thing I packed running tights and my headband. Upper 30s: brrrrrr!

We had a great cheering section, everyone all bundled up in multiple layers.


Joe retrieved the cow bells from the back of my car (have been in there since the Rock n' Roll race in November) and the kids sent us off running, cheering loud and ringing their bells like crazy.


Joe took the kids to play on the bouncy stuff and ride the train while Elisha and I ran.


And then, ahead of my goal, I saw them up ahead as I ran into the finish.



My goal was to go sub-1hr and I did it. I really liked the distance and my fans were the best!



Hannah was registered to run her first race, the mile run. She was all geared up and ready to run fast or be last. Unfortunately, there was some confusion due to adjustments in start times for the different runs and when I finished the 10-K, the race coordinator was at the microphone giving out the 5-K awards and they didn't announce the start of the mile race. We never knew it had started and totally missed it. So disappointing. And our Monkey was heartbroken, crying on my shoulder. I am now trying to plan our next race day together.

We went out to lunch at a yummy Mexican place. Joseph was thrilled with his static-filled hair:


And then we headed downtown for the arts and crafts festival. We took the "wear pink" directive seriously. Hannah had on seven different shades.





It was a gorgeous day and we had a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment