Tuesday, December 8, 2015

thanksgiving in the mountains


We spent the week of Thanksgiving in the North Carolina mountains, arriving late Sunday night and staying until Friday afternoon. We were there last year, too, but for not quite as long. Highlands is a cute little town and we stayed at a dear friends' home there, having the (beautiful) place to ourselves.


It was wonderful. We slept, ate, played and in general, laid low. The fire kept us warm until the temperatures climbed later in the week. (And then we still turned on the fire some!) We bundled up and walked a little ways "downtown" and peeked in the shops, all decorated for Christmas. Hannah and Joseph played in the toy store. I walked around in my favorite home store there, Dutchman's.







I did some Christmas shopping online. I also caught up on this blog. I guess I need a long getaway to do that...

One of the best parts of the week for me was the extended time I got to spend with God in the mornings.

When I am at home and I've got kids to get to school, or my to-do list is staring me down, my quiet time is shortened. I try not to rush it, but some days it is, in fact, squeezed into the schedule. I tell myself that at least I am having a regular quiet time, but I know it pleases the Lord so much more when I make time to not just say my prayers and read my devotions, but to just sit quietly and listen.

Time spent just abiding in His presence.

I am grateful for the time away. We are thankful for Mrs. Gena's generosity and especially for the time we got to spend as a family. It was nice to slow down a bit.


The kids took bubble baths in the big tub. I finished one book and started another, reading several magazines in between. Joe played a lot of solitaire (with actual cards) because it was a relaxing game he could do while standing at the sideboard. ;) Remember, he doesn't do sitting well.

I packed puzzles, cards, games, art supplies, and our Fisher Price nativity set. The kids had plenty to do and, though we didn't go out much, were never bored. Heck, they like staying in pajamas all day. Joseph was busy enough playing with Mrs. Gena's Bissell floor sweeper and checking out all the light switches. {Side note: my favorite part of the condo's decor is the lighting. There are so many options! There are overheads, lamps, and sconces galore. And so tastefully done.}

We ordered pizza one night, and on another we went to a favorite place called Wild Thymes. The food was delectable! But Joseph was so tired, he fell asleep in my lap half way through the meal.



Meme came that night (Tuesday). She enjoyed the playing and the relaxing, too.

We watched Christmas movies (Home Alone being a favorite!) and the Macy's parade. Christmas music played continually on Pandora.

And we went on the Polar Express.

My mom bought the tickets a long time ago and it was a surprise. Hannah and Joseph found out the day before we went. Meme also gave them adorable Christmas pajamas for the occasion. We drove to Bryson City on Wednesday afternoon for our departure at five. At the train depot, there were kids (and a lot of adults) in pajamas, music from the movie playing and just excitement everywhere!

Joseph wasn't cooperating for the photo op beforehand... I don't know what his deal was; he just didn't want to take a picture. Monkey, with her Chloe Puppy-the-Monkey, was super excited (and cooperative)...



The tickets are divided by class, and you really can't go wrong. We chose the middle option, Crown class, and it was perfect. We were served a chocolate chip cookie and hot cocoa in a souvenir cup. We rode the train to the "North Pole" and back, taking us a little over an hour roundtrip. While on board, The Polar Express story is read and the attendants are dressed in white chefs attire and are young and playful.





Santa got on board and traveled back to the station, saying hello to each child along the way. Hannah and Joseph were speechless. Literally. Even when he asked what they would like for Christmas. Nothing. Think they were overwhelmed? I think so!


Santa gave us each a silver bell to take home. This was most definitely the highlight!


Though I've grown old, the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe.

Back at the depot, we visited the Smoky Mountains Trains Museum. It was incredible. The model railroads were so neat!


After picking up a few souvenirs, we walked back to our car and headed home. Except for the drive there (and back), when my little girl got carsick, it was such a fun night!!

On Thursday, my brother Will, Crystal, and sweet little Stella came to play. They were staying further down the mountain with cousins in Sky Valley.






We had a nice time visiting and Hannah and Joseph loved playing with their little cousin.

Later that evening, Joe served a delicious Thanksgiving feast. Thankfully, it wasn't too labor-intensive as he prepared the squash and sweet potato casseroles prior to leaving home. We enjoyed every bite of it...perhaps gobbling it up a little too fast.



Our little turkeys headed off to bed, and Joe and I packed up a bit.


We left Highlands that Friday, stopping at the tubing slope in Scaly Mountain (NC). My aunt and cousins pretty much run the place, and though it was not cold enough for them to blow snow, there was enough there to slide around on.

Hannah enjoyed herself, and once we talked Joseph into getting in a tube, he did too! Joe took Hannah down the big slope, while Joseph stuck to the little kids' mound. Even Meme got in on the fun!







Back in Georgia, we switched cars with my mom in Greensboro. She took the kids to Sandersville and the hubby and I went to Lake Oconee where we spent the weekend. Joe was officiating the wedding of a church member and we were treated to a two-night stay at The Ritz Carlton Lodge. It was so wonderful! Pre-rehearsal dinner photo:


The property is just beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed the luxurious accommodations. On Saturday morning, we meandered around the hotel...and could not pass up the big swings. Had to take pictures for Hannah and Joseph to see.




All of the Christmas decorations were out and we could not stop ourselves from FaceTiming the kiddos when we saw the huge gingerbread house in the lobby! They were amazed.

We had lunch on Saturday at the outside restaurant, dining at the bar so we could watch the rivalry weekend games. {Not a great one for my Yellow Jackets or for Joe's Tigers, but that's ok. Not good seasons for either of those teams this year. But Navy did very well!}

The wedding was absolutely beautiful and elegant. My sweet hubby did a great job, and the couple was so happy and cute. We came back in time for Sunday School (we were leading the class).

It was a really great trip and a nice vacation. We were away for a full week and there was a lot of laundry and catching up to do. (Hence the delay in posting!) Thankfully, I started putting Christmas decorations up before we left, so it was mainly the trees that needed doing when we returned.

It is hard to believe Christmas is just a little over two weeks away!




No comments:

Post a Comment