Sunday, August 4, 2013

tomorrow's the day!

my three favorite people

This morning, Joe really wanted to go to church. As his head nurse, I wasn't going to let him. But who am I to keep a good man down?! We slipped in the front just after the announcements and sat on a side pew, all four of us. I knew he was in pain, but he wanted to be there and I know it was worth it to him. {He does not like to miss Sunday service - no matter where we are.} As for me, I like any chance I get to sit with him in church.

Tomorrow is the day we have been waiting for - surgery! It's been two and a half weeks since the accident and we are so glad/relieved/thankful this day is here. Our follow-up appointment went well last Thursday. We learned that his spine is healing as it should, no surgery needed there. He can start trying to sit up. We learned that the fracture in his upper left fibula also does not need surgery. Because the fibula is not the primary weight-bearing bone (the tibia is), the doctors are not concerned about this break and say it will eventually consolidate with the bone and heal on its own. The surgery will be to fix his ankle where both the lower fibula and tibia fractures are located. In essence, the ankle needs to be rebuilt; the bones are not sitting where they should be. The procedure will entail pulling them back together to their proper place, secured with a plate and screws. I have no idea how long the surgery will take; they didn't tell us, and I didn't ask. However, we know they plan for us to come home tomorrow.

Please keep us in your prayers. We know they are working!!! Pray for peace and comfort. Pray for strength and good health for Joe. And pray for the medical team. We are eagerly looking forward to starting down the "road to recovery" and getting Joe well again!


No comments:

Post a Comment